Hello, I'm Ailbhe (a tricky Irish name pronounced 'Alva').
Originally from Dublin, Ireland, I live and work in London as a graphic designer and an illustrator. More recently I've added printmaking to my creative cv. I'm one half of a small London design partnership, Decoder (there's a link above to view our design work) and only began accepting illustration commissions over the last 5 years after I started to regularly illustrate my personal food blog, 'Simply Splendiferous'.
I love drawing, I always have, and it's been exciting to combine hand drawn line work, watercolour and ink washes with digital manipulation, adding textures and paint through PS. However, for me, everything begins with mark-making on paper.
My main strengths as an illustrator are the love of free-flowing drawing, an understanding of the commissioning procedure, the sanctity of deadlines and enjoyment of working with clients. My illustration interests are food and cooking, home and city life.
I was shortlisted for the Fortnum & Mason Food and Drink Awards in 2013 for my illustrative work. I've exhibited my prints at Morley Gallery, London, in 2016 and 2017.
Random facts about me:
- I love gardening and am one of the organisers of my local edible garden project
- I love cooking but mostly savoury, I leave dessert cooking to my OH
- I'm rather short
- I get very grumpy in hot weather
- I talk a lot
- I panic when I swim out of my depth (unfortunately see point 3 above)
- I listen to 'The Archers' on BBC Radio 4 (a farming soap series for those you've never heard of it!)
- As a child I persevered to like the coffee cream chocolates in a box of chocolates, they were always left behind uneaten by my siblings (practical and opportunist is how I see that!)